Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Saddle Sore

As a kid, I had a ton of different bikes.  My brothers and I were so tough on them.  I have so many wonderful stories of making ramps, jumps, crashes, and so much more.  On one particular crash, I had to walk home with my bike because I had literally bent the handle bars into a non-maneuverable position.  Craziness.  It is amazing how I no longer remember the pain from the numerous accidents.

My bike riding of prior to my tri training was a lazy ride here and there with the kids.  It wasn’t always an easy ride to keep up with them, and many times was more of a workout then I expected.

Well, my tri training has brought bike riding to a new level.  My bike has this wonderful granny seat with these wonderful gel cushions.  One big problem, my bike is really heavy.  I quickly learned what a road bike was, and amazingly, I was able to buy a really nice one super cheap from a family who is fully of cyclist and triathletes.  It doesn’t come with a granny seat and gel cushions.  It isn’t called a seat.  It is called a saddle.  After my first 45 minute ride on it, I quickly realized why it was called so.  It, the saddle, alters the way one will sit, stand, and walk for numerous days. No fears, many cyclist I know have been so kind to inform me that it will take about a year for me to not remember the saddle.  OH YAY!

My new motto continues: Pain is weakness leaving the body.  I have lots of weakness!

No comments: