Sunday, February 7, 2010

Am I that old?

This is my dear friend Julie.  Last night, we embarked on a mission to find some four ounce aluminum foil cake pans.  Who knew they would be so hard to find?  I needed them for my chocolate torte recipe.  We headed to a grocery store that I was sure would have them.  They have more pans that type than any store around.  After thoroughly walking every aisle, we had no luck.  I decided my plan B was to use a soup type can.  I called Dan to see if I could bake in one.  He and I were on the phone when a grocery store worker was nearby.  I turned to her and asked if she thought I could bake in a soup can.  Julie was a little caught off guard that I really asked that question.  So when that lady asked the front manager, Julie took matters into her own hand.  I was on the phone so she had the conversation with 20 something too smart for her own good manager.  Julie told this chic that I was her mom and I sometimes got confused easily.  That Julie was just playing along to appease me.  The girl asked her who was driving me and when Julie said.. OH I AM, she was so glad.  Do I look old enough to be her mother?  Who would belive such a thing?  Dan began telling me that my idea actually had a little merit.  I got off the phone and Julie and I went to find a conducive size can.  We finally discovered it... Vienna Sausage cans!  I was so excited.  Then the manager arrived.  She was like, "Oh, I thought you meant put a can in the microwave.."  She was so condesending to me.  She was so carefully explaining her every word and then she was describing these mini casserole dishes she bought in Hickory.  She then explained to me what a casserole was.  The whole time she kept looking back and forth between me and Julie.  I was really starting to get irked.  I made a statement that I hadn't thought to look in the store she bought her mini casserole dishes in. (which this mini casserole is actually called a ramekin).  It isn't one I frequent.  I was like of course I had three kids with me.  To which, my dear friend, was shaking her head and mouthing it was only her... This poor manager thought I was crazy.  So on the way out... Julie was playing along so well.  She passed the manager and thanked her for playing along and the manager said... "It's ok.  I have a mom too."  Ah, I am so blessed to have good friends.  I have not laughed so hard in a while!  For the record, I do get the mom/daughter question a lot with Julie.

No comments: