Monday, February 13, 2012

Not one of those….

My three darlings absolutely love homeschool activities.  By far our favorite monthly activity is the homeschool skating.  They just love to roller skate!  It is great to see them out there with their friends.  I won’t mention how many times that they lap me in the course of the event, but I am improving each time.Smile

The attendance to each of these events varies.  This past week our event was huge.  It was a bigger group then normal.  I must preface this with the fact that I understand not everyone on the floor knows how to skate thus the random person who cannot help but to be in your way.  I am not referring to those.

Our event began with they yummy food provided.  My older two went to meet up with a friend and get their skates.  Sarah wanted to eat with Mommy.  I relish those moments when she feels I am Queen in her life.  As we headed to get her skates, twice I had to grab her as an older teen ran her over.  I mean literally made contact with her.  My problem was this kid knew how to skate.  He was racing a friend on the carpet, and not once but twice did he almost knock my kid over.  My problem was that he didn’t even care!  He didn’t apologize or anything.  The first time, I truly did let it go.  I gave the old, “We really have to watch around us since there are lots of people today” speech.  The second time, when I did say, “Hey, buddy, you ran into my kid!  Be careful!” and there was no remorse or care…I got a little ill.

As we hit the floor to do some skating, I avidly keep track of where dearies are.  I was amazed at the number of kids that bumped into, crashed, or almost crashed less advanced people without a care in the world.  There was one little boy in particular that seemed to do it on purpose.  When my adult friend almost went tumbling and yelled out to this kid to be careful, he literally looked back and grinned!!!!

WHAT!!!!! Really!!! Where are the parents we asked each other?  Even when my friend and I weren’t skating, we were watching our kids skate.  I am quick to illustrate to my kids that they are not an island to themselves while skating.  I love their caution.  I love watching them stop to help a kid up they don’t know.  I love hearing them say excuse me, please, thank you, etc.  Are they always innocent?  NO WAY! But I loved their reactions when a mom and her three kids cut in front of my two older ones in line.  The nice lady at the service counter wasn’t going to let it happen, but my dearies spoke up and told her to go ahead and let her go.  WOW! 

I understand why when I say I homeschool some people give me that look like your kid is no doomed to ultimate social failure and to live in a totally backwards society.  Let me also say, spend a little time with them, and they will definitely prove you wrong.

While we teach at home, let us not forget to teach manners and respect for others as we go throughout the day.

No comments: