Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Swim Days

Oh, I dread swim days, and I love them at the same time.  The most inspiring thing about my swim days is my kids.  With my hubby off to training at his new post at Young, the kids have no choice but to join me in my triathlon training.  The girls are most excited about swim days.  They love to swim.  I dreaded them joining me not from a nuisance or problem aspect but simply because they swim soooo much better then  I do. 

She was cruising!My oldest daughter, Abby, has taken swimming by the storm.  She wants to compete at the highest level she can achieve, and thus, she pushes herself as hard as she can.  Today, she gloated.  Abby joined me at the gym for a few weeks.  I used the term “weanie” when she complained about lifting some weights.  Today, she got payback.  As she swam her 100 yards in the time it took me to swim my 50 yards, she looked at me and said, “You weanie!”  I asked her about my stroke, and she willingly gave me a few pointers.  I began to try to practice them.  As I was approaching the wall on one of my fifties, I was shocked to see Abby five feet below me giving me a thumb’s up.  I almost drowned because it isn't wise to laugh while your face is planted in water.  It did feel good to make my daughter proud.   I especially loved it when she swam a fifty with me side by side at my pace.  What an unexpected encourager!

Rebekah and Sarah are equally motivating.  Sarah today helped me work on my stamina as she decided to grab my ankle half way down the lane.  I literally drug her for the rest of my lap.  What great preparation.  Of course the highlight of my day was when Sarah chose to race me!  I actually won.  OK, so I have three extra feet and longer arms.  It is the little victories!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How funny! Your girls learned how to encourage from you!!!

Anonymous said...

Super-Duper blog! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also
Napoleon 2200 Timberwolf Economizer EPA Medium Wood Burning Stove Timberwolf Economizer EPA Medium Wood Burning Stove with Black Door