Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Favorite Gym Moments!

I proudly bear the title of “Gym Rat.” I love going to the gym.  I love the feeling of accomplishment I get, and I so love having negative calories when I am done.  I am so excited to have finally passed over the thirty pound hurdle.  Woo hoo!  I still have a long way to go, but it is so much fun to focus on small success. 

One of my favorite things has been meeting new people.  Gym rats are usually people of routine.  We all are consistently there together, and it is a neat accountability system too.  One of my favorite people is Bob.  He is a former Methodist pastor of 40 years, and he is currently filling in for a small church as interim.  He is really neat, and it is great to have someone to share spiritual blessings with as well. 

Throughout the months at the gym, I have seen and heard some interesting things.  It has been comical to watch different people as they work out.  So here are just a few of some of my favorite moments at the gym.

One of my favorites by far was with the hip adduction/abduction machine.  We have a real funny guy that is older, and he is always cutting up with people.  A lady was trying out the machine for the first time.  I was on a nearby machine, and Ralph was on the machine beside her.  She was asking me how the machine was supposed to work.  Before I could answer Ralph chimed in and asked if she wanted the automatic setting or manual.  She looked puzzled.  Ralph told her to stand up a sec and he would show her.  I was rolling!!!!  She was actually thinking there was an automatic setting.  Ralph sat down and tapped the yellow weight insignia, and acted as though the machine was working for him.  Then he tapped the button again, and he acted as though the weights were some how heavier.  The lady looked at me, and she said, “Wow!”  I couldn’t let her believe him, and thankfully, Ralph quickly added that he was just having some fun.  We all had a great chuckle!

 

My next favorite moment comes from this same machine.  I was working on the machine beside the hip abduction/adduction machine, and a teen girl that works out regularly sat down to work out.  I was the only other person working out at that time.  As she went to adjust the machine to her desired weight, she looked at the setting and then at me, with eyes wide she asked, “Is this YOU?”.  I happily replied that yes it was.  She then responded with Wow!  Ha Ha.  I loved it.  It totally made my day!

My last favorite moment is a conglomeration of the many of the same comments I have gotten.  I work out with many of the same people on a daily basis.  Over  and over again, people have come up to me and said, “What kind of diet are you on?  You are really losing some weight.”  I have to scratch my head cause I am not really on a diet, but rather I am burning the calories that I consume.  So when I tell them I am counting my calories, many ask, “So, is the gym thing helping?” LOL!  No not at all it is just why I am here everyday!  When I respond with a yes, the next question is always how long do you work out.  Then it gets interesting when I respond with an hour and a half each weekday.  It is always varied, but usually along the lines of, “I could never do that much or boy, your dedicated or more power to you.”  Too funny!  I cannot imagine going to the gym everyday and not seeing results.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are my hero, wow! An hour and a half??!! Maybe one day I'll be at the point where I can go every day, but even then I'm pretty sure it won't be for an hour + a day!

MANY congrats to you on passing the big THIRTY!!! That is so awesome!!! Isn't it such a good feeling to be a size you haven't been in YEARS??? Makes you feel younger, right?