Friday, November 11, 2011

Skateland USA


Skateland%20USA%20Logo
My kids and I love homeschool event days.  This week we chose to go roller skating.  The kids love to skate, and due to the cost, we definitely do not go often.  This was a great deal.  For five bucks we all got to skate, eat as many hot dogs or pizza slices we wanted, and drink as much soda as we wanted for three hours! Wow!

As I took to the floor, I was quickly reminded why I do not skate often, and it is for this reason that no cell phone or camera pictures were allowed.  I was thankful that Dan could not join us for this trip as it took me a while to get my skating legs.

It was so much fun.  The kids are all great and daring skaters, but me... I like to cling to the wall a little bit more.  I did eventually get the hang of it, and I was able to be in the throes of everyone and feel confident.

My girls were quick to see that I had ventured from the wall and came right over to express their pride at my feat.  I was feeling good.  In the whole time, we were there I had not fallen.  We only had twenty minutes left of skating.  Sarah and I were zooming around the rink, and it happened.  I managed to hit a small piece of plastic that some one had dropped.  It stopped my front skate dead! I struggled to get my center of balance, and then plop, right on my bottom I went.  I must say I was very careful to not place any hands out to break my fall.  We already have one broken bone in the family at the moment.  The nice staffer who patrols the kids skating came to my aid.  I was even glad when he believed me that I had run over something.  My kids had all rushed to my aid.  "Mom, are you ok?" "Mom, you scared me!" "Mom, is anything broken?"  I assured them I was fine, and the nice gentlement helped me up.  Off we went skating again.  My kids barrage of questions simply reminded me that I was thirty -five and no longer able to bounce as well as I once used to!  UGH! 

I was so pleased when the staff man who assisted me found me to let me know he too had rolled over the plastic, and it had removed.  It was so very apologetic.  I felt like asking, "Do I look that old?"

I was truly thankful that all that working out paid off, and I am not even the least bit sore today.  I just have a little wounded pride, but there were only a handful of us parents out there.  Celebrate the little victories.

Homeschool skating was a success, and we are all looking forward to next month!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where did you go, cuz we have that same deal here in Gastonia at Kate's. We went last month and had a great time, but I can't go without someone else there to hold the Davis Man. Wade actually picked up on it much quicker than Haylee... though she's been practicing some on some thrift store skates so maybe next time she'll do better. Glad you are okay! That sounds like quite the sudden stop/fall. Not cool!