Friday, November 4, 2011

Our Not So New Family Member


2011-11-04_10-44-03_945For the past few years, Abby has begged, pleaded, cried, and begged some more for a cat.  Shockingly to me, my dear hubby didn’t seem to mind having a cat in the house.  It was four on one.  For many many months I was able to hold out.  The kids did research and asked questions of so many others who had cats to help change my mind, but I WAS NOT budging…. UNTIL..Abby’s dear friend got a cat.
Oh the drama!  Here was my daughter all broken up over her friend’s ability to have a cat.  It was earth shattering news, and Abby was really struggling.  She had been praying for a cat for forever.  It was all she talked about, and now one of her closest friends had one. 
Hence this spawned much conversation between me and the hubby.  You see I just hated cats.  I have never gotten along with a cat period!  So my hubby came up with an idea, let’s visit the local humane society and just look at cats.  No problem for the non cat lover!!!
We prepared the girls that we were going to visit the pound, ask questions, and look at the different types of kittens available.  You know, the explore all our options and see if one would work for mean old mommy who was holding the family back.  The girls were so excited.  I think we held all the kittens in the place, and we even got the right idea of the one for our family…I mean if somehow one should melt my cold heart and I relent.
It was pretty much decided after we left that day that we were going to get a cat.  We even told the kids.  Camp was the following week, and so we promised them that upon their return from camp we would kitten hunt.  They were so excited, and now, I became the hero!
Dan and I decided we better go survey the options before they came home from camp.  Somehow we even decided that if we found one we liked we should go ahead and get her.  You know, that way she could be adjusted to life in our home before the kids bombarded her with hugs and kisses and loads of attention!  As we looked through all the kittens, I began to grow discouraged.  I just couldn’t find one I really wanted us to have.  Then, we got to see the kittens that had just had their spaying surgeries.  There she was.  So cute..so lovable..so cuddly.
We brought her home, and we only got the necessary items.  We decided to surprise the girls.  We would tell them we needed to unload the car and do a few things at home before we went kitten shopping.  I will never forget the look on the kids face when we got home, and they began to realize there was a litter pan and bag of litter.  We told them that we were just getting ready to pick out our kitten. Then, out from behind the chair came the cat.  Rebekah and Sarah raced for her, and Abby, well my dear drama queen, just stood there in shock!
We just love our little Sophie!  She isn’t quite so little anymore!
Sophie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cutie!!! Though I have to admit I'm kind of like you said you were in regards to cats, ha ha!! We keep saying we're going to get a dog whenever we can get somewhere with a fenced in yard! :) The girls look so happy with their new friend!!

AND... GREAT JOB on the sig!! I'm impressed!! Whoohoo!

Amy said...

Thanks. I loved the signature option! I like that I can change it whenever I want too!

It is funny cause I am the cat's favorite person! If she only knew how opposed I was. Now she is a part of everyday life.